Monday, July 23, 2007

Sunday Update

Posted by: Jeff Billingsley

It's 5pm on Sunday here. Right about the time our festival is winding down here the service will be ramping up at The Life Church in Memphis. Just because I'm on the other side of the planet is the only reason I would miss Sonya's muffins and scones on a Sunday morning.

I'm still kind of processing the mountain and the "Killing Caves" used by the Khmer Rouge during their massacre in the late 70s. Between 1.2 and 3.2 million people were killed during that time frame. I could give you all kinds of facts (1200 steps down) but that experience has to be related from the heart. I'm still working on that.

The Cambodian people are so friendly. People in other countries I've visited give you the impression they are nice to get your tourist money. These folks are nice in the first place and very much laid back and respectful. We could use some of this perspective in our country. I'm already considering changes in my life when I get back home. I'm respectful of our planet but not like the stereotypical tree hugger. Not until you leave our country do you realize how much we waste and how much we have that we simply take for granted. It's been everything everyone said it would be and more. I'm learning the great difference in your experience when simply taking a personal vacation vs. coming to a country with the intentional purpose of sharing the wonderful Gospel of Jesus.

The festival is now over and it was amazing. Words don't do justice to the great enthusiasm the Cambodian people had. We came here to be a blessing to them and we were certainly blessed by them. During the Khmer portion the words were foreign to us but the music crosses all cultural and geographical lines. When the invitation was given hands shot up from front to back, side to side.

We went to church this morning. The Cambodian pastor and congregation read Psalm 40 (pronounced Sam to them) and our own Pastor John covered Psalm 84:1-7 as part of having the right attitude. We gave our own testimony and I was plenty concerned about how I would be accepted as a police officer in the US. I was encouraged by their response and pray that I planted the seed in their hearts and prayer life about the great reformation only God can do in the hearts of police officers across their country... and ours too. Please lift up the Moriah Presbyterian Church Fellowship Church in prayer.

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that God is already doing a mighty thing in this country. We ran into many missionaries and folks teaching English. The pastors here are on fire for God and the thirst in the local churches was easily seen. Perhaps the biggest blessing, especially in Cambodia's unique situation, is that the youth are amazingly on fire for God. I was truly blessed to see many older folks there at the festival as well.

More later. We leave early on Monday to return to Phnom Penh. Thank you again for your prayers. We've felt a great amount of spiritual warfare but have been terribly blessed. The trip has exceeded any of my expectations thus far.

For more updates on the trip, check out our lead pastor's blog at johnsiebeling.com. Also, pictures will be up shortly! Stay tuned!

No comments: